Cheadle Mosque Zakat project 2018 – Supporting the Rohingya
Every year Cheadle Mosque selects a Zakat project – an important project to help the most needy people around the world. This Ramadan we have joint forces with Islamic Relief to help the Muslims of Burma that have been persecuted and driven from their homes. An article here can not describe the horrors that these people have faced – but as our brothers and sisters united in faith, as people of shared humanity – they need our help and we must help them in any way that we can.
The Rakhine state of Myanmar (Burma) has the highest incidence of poverty, 78% (World Bank) compared to the national average of 37.5%. The suffering and vulnerability of the extremely poor people is further increased due to the genocide of the Muslim community there.
Around 80,000 people are stranded in Internally Displaced Persons camps surrounding their villages
areas and more than 680,000 new people have left for Bangladesh following their persecution.
A RESPONSE IS NEEDED
An emergency response is needed and Islamic Relief have developed a number of projects focusing on supporting the most needy in three key areas.
- Catering for the lack of food and nutrition
- Income generation
- And providing shelter for the most vulnerable families.
From the Islamic Relief project plan :
“The sectors of intervention for food security which will be delivered through monthly food parcels for 2,000 HHs.
Livelihoods and income generation activities which include a one of distribution of cash vouchers for livelihood means, and skills training sessions will be delivered to 1,800 households as per their choice and interest.
It also involves the construction long shelters for households that are currently living in very poor conditions. Each shelter will house up to 8 families, giving each family two rooms – One room is for cooking and eating while the other room is designed for sleeping”
What will our Zakat provide :
Food Needs :
- £50 can provide a food parcel to a needy family in the Rakhine State in Myanmar for a month
- £600 can provide a food parcel for a needy family in the Rakhine State in Myanmar for a year
- £3,000 can feed 5 needy families in the Rakhine stare in Myanmar for a year. (30 individuals)
Livelihoods and training (Sustainable):
- £150 can provide cash vouchers and skills training sessions (as per their choice of interest), to a person in Myanmar, who can then work and provide for their families with dignity
- £1500 can provide 10 people with cash vouchers and skills training sessions (as per their choice of interest) to allow them to work and provide for their families with dignity
- £3,000 can provide 20 people with cash vouchers and skills training sessions (as per their choice of interest) to allow them to work and provide for their families with dignity
- £550 can provide a strong durable shelter to a family in Myanmar.
- £5,500 can provide a strong durable shelter to 10 families in Myanmar.
We would urge every one of us to please donate whatever we can of our Zakat for the people of Myanmar – may Allah Swt help them and whatever we donate be of help and comfort to them Insha’Allah. Even if we are unable to donate finance, at the very least let us donate our dua’s….